If your issue is not listed, please contact the Service Desk.
Having trouble viewing this page in Internet Explorer? Please see KB13030.
The country flags indicate the campus affected by an issue, Birmingham or Dubai
Nothing to report!
IT Services are not currently aware of any system outages.
Updated: 17 Jan 2022 at 3:49pm
On Friday 10 December, a worldwide cyber security vulnerability was announced by the Apache Foundation, affecting Log4J. This is a global issue affecting many organisations, including universities.
Since this news was announced, IT Services has been working to identify which of our systems could be affected by the vulnerability, and applying fixes to protect the University from attacks by cyber criminals.
This work remains ongoing; we’re also liaising with third party suppliers and partners where needed. We ask for your patience for the duration of this issue as we work to mitigate risk to the institution.
What do I need to do?
- While this situation is ongoing, if a service you need to use isn’t working as you’d expect it to, check the Status Page for announcements first, before contacting the Service Desk.
- In the meantime, remain vigilant as always to cyber security threats such as phishing emails; if you have any concerns, report them to the IT Service Desk.
- If you have your own IT equipment or services that IT Services doesn’t manage, for example for your research, you may need to take action to protect these against the Log4J vulnerability.
IT Services continues to monitor the situation closely.
Updated: 18 Jan 2022 at 12:02pm | Maintenance Window: 21 Jan 2022 4:00pm to 24 Jan 2022 9:00pm
Several student administration services will be unavailable to allow for essential system maintenance between Friday 21 January 16:00 and Monday 24 January 09:00 (UK time).
Services unavailable during this time include:
- Online registration (student users)
- Student Gateway (for student access to My Provisional Marks, Exam Marks and Progress Decisions, My Registered Modules and GRS2 PGR supervision)
- Staff Gateway (for staff access to BIRMS and GRS2 PGR supervision)
- BIRMS (staff users)
- Right to Study app (staff users)
IMPORTANT NOTE: Staff administration users are also requested to not make any data changes in Banner Admin throughout the weekend.
Updated: 14 Jan 2022 at 1:50pm | Maintenance Window: 19 Jan 2022 11:00pm to 20 Jan 2022 4:00am
The Student Help site (studenthelp.bham.ac.uk) and the related Verint call logging system will be unavailable between 11:00 PM on 19th January and 4:00 AM on 20th January, whilst routine maintenance is carried out. Access away from these times should continue, as expected.
Updated: 10 Dec 2021 at 2:17pm
On Thursday, 9 December we renewed our wireless network certificate. This is the digital certificate provides you with a secure connection to our wireless network.
This is a standard process which we are required to do every two years to ensure that your connection to our wireless eduroam network remains secure.
The change shouldn’t affect your connection to eduroam but once we’ve applied the new licence you may receive a pop up message when you next attempt to connect to the wireless network on your laptop or mobile device, which asks you to verify the new certificate.
If you do receive this pop up message, just click continue, connect or trust, depending on your device, and you will be able to connect to the University’s wireless network as normal.
If you have any issues connecting to our wireless network following the change then please contact the IT Service Desk.